Active involvement with your child’s sport builds a strong and enduring shared experience. Community clubs thrive when parents get involved and there are many ways to create this long term benefit on and off the ice. For all offers of help please contact our Registrar and/or select your preferred option in the Player Registration process email@example.com
UPDATED – OCT 11th
The HOCKEY SEASON runs from Oct 15th to April 1st 2023 with a winter break from December 20th-Jan 1st and Monday Feb 20th off, then March 13th, 18/19th off for March break. We play at Bayview Arena.
What are all these “U” teams? U5=2018 born; U6= 2017; U7=2016; U8=2015; U8S= 2015 play 2016; U9= 2014; U9S=2014 play 2015; U11=2012-2013; U13=2010 & 2011; U14=2009; U14S=2009 play 2010; U16=2007-2008
2022-2023 SCHEDULE UPDATED: this is much tighter now although families are still registering. It is taking time for us all to get back to hockey after pandemic and summer breaks.
Starting October 15th – here is the Saturday and Sunday schedule
Learn to Play (U5, U6, U7) On ice at 10.38ish until 11.30am – Saturday only
Cross Ice & Skills (U7, U8S) 11.30-12.30pm Saturday only
U8/U9S Half Ice (2015/2014 less confident skaters) 11.30-12.30pm Saturday only
Cross and Half ice programs will be combined for skills sessions to increase the number of stations for different skills and various fun activities.
U9 Half ice in 2022/Full ice in 2023 (2014 and 2013 less confident) – at least until mid January 2.10-3.05pm. Practice is Sunday morning 8.00-8.50am with our Hockey Pro
U11 Full ice (2012-2013) 3.15 & 4.10pm games on Saturday; practice is Sunday morning – 2 teams will practice 10.45-11.30 and the other 2 will practice 12.30-1.15. The sessions will be rotated.
The 2012Select team will practice from 11.30-12.30
U13 Full ice (2010-2011) 5.05 & 6.00pm games on Saturday; practice for the Willowdale cohort is Sunday morning 8.50-9.35am. Players from the Thornhill House League will be joining us so that we have a full 4 team lively hockey experience for your players.
The 2011Select team will practice from 9.35-10.35
U14/U16 (2007-2009) Starting MONDAY October 17th, Games are 8.00 & 9.00pm Monday evening. There are no practices.
What is LEARN TO SKATE FOR HOCKEY?
- This 45m program, once a week, is for non-skating children under 7. Children wear full hockey equipment. All ice time is cross-ice.
- Learn not to be scared of the ice; Learn to fall over and get up again
- Learn to skate properly instead of trying to walk on the ice
- Gain confidence in moving around and watching what else is going on
- Spend some time with a hockey stick and puck to stop thinking about feet.
What is LEARN TO PLAY HOCKEY?
- Also 45m once a week, this program is for children 7 and under who can skate a little. All ice time is cross-ice.
- Moving Forwards, Backwards and in Circles learn to move freely
- Play chasing games with balls and flags. Tag the Coach is popular, and just watch them fly when it’s the other way around
- Using sticks and pucks learn skating direction, avoidance plays and shooting.
What is HOUSE LEAGUE?
- Starting in U8 and on half-ice only, Willowdale blends skills and games following the Hockey Canada Initiation program for 1 hour a week.
- For the half-ice U8 and U9S (starter) program, players spend 1 week of just skills, then 2 weeks of half skiils/half 4 on 4 games in each 3 week period. Our U8 & U9S players may add Hockey School to their program for an extra fee.
- In the full U9 program players use half-ice for the first half of the season, and full ice for the second. U9 is the first age group with 2 sessions a week. Willowdale U9 play games on Saturday and practice early on Sunday morning with Hockey School for 16 weeks and team practices for 6.
- More information on the Modified Ice program is at https://www.gthlcanada.com/initiation-program-resources/
- U10-U13 players use full ice. Games are on Saturday and practices on Sunday. Practices see 2 teams sharing the ice, generally the coaches will co-coach for skills and then accommodate a 10 minute scrimmage at the end. A few times each season a Powerskating instructor will take the session to help with skating skills.
- On Monday evenings, our U14-U16 players enjoy a 1 hour game. There is no formal practice at this age although games start with a good 10 minute warm up to shake of the rust and get muscles and ankles going.
What is HOCKEY SCHOOL?
- Hockey School is pure skills and powerskating training on Sunday early morning.
- Hockey School is included in the U9 fee and is available for purchase for U8/U9S players.
- Instructors vary in their specialisms and bring a robust range of coaching to our young players.
- Every child who attends regularly and gets used to the early hour, develops noticeably stronger skills through the season.
What is RESPECT IN SPORT FOR PARENTS?
Hockey Canada, the OHF and the GTHL have mandated that ONE parent of every child playing hockey in Canada must complete this one-time on-line program before a player may play organized hockey (U7 and older).
- You do NOT need to repeat the program.
- Respect in Sport – Parent Program
What is SELECT?
Some children want to play more competitive hockey than House League. In most age groups we have a team “Selected” from the House League who will play games against similarly skilled teams from other clubs.
- The Select program at Willowdale plays all games through the North York Hockey League
- Players try-out for Select teams.
- Select is extra hockey, extra ice time and comes with an extra fee. Teams are self funding and as such the fee will vary.
- Connect with the Coach for more information please.
STAY IN TOUCH through Facebook: go to the Willowdale Hockey House League/Select Facebook page and “like” it; you will receive notifications of new posts.
Questions about registrations, refunds, this website or club administration may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.